Threads and waits

Hi,

I have an app. that runs two threads, the main one and other thread that
collects information from files. I launch the thread by calling
pthread_create and here comes my first question

¿Should I use g_thread_create instead? Now I have no problems with these
pthreads and I can perform mutual exclusion with gdk_threads_enter() and
gdk_threads_leave() so I'm not sure about change the kind of thread.

Under some conditions I would like the collector thread to make a pause. I
don't know how to do it with POSIX functions. I've seen Glib's API
documentation and I'm not sure how could I make this. ¿Should I use a Gcond?
As I can see in documentation, g_thread_yield is not recommended to be used.

Thanks in advance!!