How to disable text box popup on table?

I'm sorry if this is off-topic for this list, but after investigation it looks as though my problem is related to GTK rather than to SWT. I need to stop the small text box that pops up when typing when the focus is on a table component.

We have built a Point-Of-Sale application on SWT 2.1.3/GTK on Fedora Core 2 and are migrating to Ubuntu 5.10. One of the main screens of our application contains an SWT TableViewer component with a list of products in it. We have used the SWT call Display.addFilter() to add an event filter to capture all keystrokes from the user to identify stock codes, command keys, etc. On Fedora this works perfectly. On Ubuntu after typing one or two characters a small text box pops up near the bottom of the table and captures all subsequent keyboard input. This completely screws up our application because the text box consumes all of the text events from then on.

This also happens in other GTK applications on Ubuntu. Gaim does it in the buddy list (place focus on list and start typing), as does Wing IDE (focus on project tab/tree and start typing), and also in the GTK file open dialog.

I have taken a screen capture to illustrate what I mean, it's at: http://www.pricom.co.nz/table_text_popup.jpg The text popup is at the bottom of the table with "hhhh" (the text that I have typed).

Sorry if I am not more precise with my problem description, I am not familiar enough with the underlying GTK widget set to know what is causing this. However, any help with getting rid of this "feature" would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Peter Butler