RE: help me catch up on GTK gui tools

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006, Brett Stottlemyer wrote:

Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.

 My thought for starting with Solaris instead of a
Linux variant was that I have used Solaris (but not like this) and not
Linux.  While it would certainly be easier to test in Linux, it would mean
I'd have to eventually fight the learning curves for both Linux and Solaris.

It is probably easier to 'apt-get install devhelp' and learn how GTK+/Gnome works on Linux than to fight the entire battle on Solaris. But maybe that's just me ;)

(btw. why on Earth do you have to use Solaris at all? Is it Company Policy that Cannot be Changed? ZFS and dtrace are cool but isn't that about it?)

Not that I'm getting the code compiled on Solaris, I may try out Linux.  I
didn't want to spend the time to find something I like in one environment
then find out it is somehow incompatible with the environment I need.  The
free VMWare Server sure gives me more options (No affiliation, a friend
pointed me in their direction about a month ago).

So from a GUI building standpoint, I can use whatever works to get the
basics done and then modify/update in code for any custom widgets.  Sounds
good to me.  I really just want simple controls around a gtkglext window.

While I'm at it: do NOT have glade generate code for you! It is a trick to trap you into having completely unmaintainable code and a GUI you no longer can modify with glade or anything else.

Instead, ask for whatever named widget (including windows and dialogs) you need from the glade XML file with glade_xml_get_widget().

You can either connect signals to callback functions manually with g_signal_connect() or you can use a linker option (--export-dynamic) that puts non-static function names into the executable and then call glade_xml_signal_autoconnect(). You specify which functions you want connected with which signals inside glade.

-Peter