From: Peter "Firefly" Lund [mailto:firefly diku dk]
Sent: Sunday, August 06, 2006 5:36 AM
To: Brett Stottlemyer
Cc: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org
Subject: Re: help me catch up on GTK gui tools

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006, Brett Stottlemyer wrote:

So to get started and figure out what I want to use, I'm testing out tools
at home using Solaris 2.10 installed within VMWare Server on a PC (I never
could get MINGW/MSYS/GTK to work on the PC, plus that wasn't the end
system

Testing/playing around will undoubtedly be easier with a modern Linux
distribution instead of Solaris ;)

Personally, I use Ubuntu Dapper, others may use Fedora or Novell/SuSE.

anyway).  I know the general advice is to install the binary packages, but
don't have much sysadmin experience and this is on a fresh Solaris 10
install (on my PC) - I figured if I couldn't compile the libraries I'd
have
trouble with any tools using the libraries (this also goes back to the PC
trouble I had).  So I've spent more than a few days getting gtk 2.10.1 and
all dependencies compiled.

Which could have been a couple of 'apt-get install' commands or some
pointing and clicking inside Synaptic with Ubuntu.

I know that you need to get this thing running on Solaris at the end, but
along the way you also need to try out various alternatives and that might
(will!) be a heck of a lot easier on something more mainstream.

Regarding getting things built from source: jhbuild might possibly be your
friend.  It can autodownload from tarballs and CVS (and subversion?) and
compile the libraries for you.  After it is done you can see what it ended
up downloading, pack it up, and take it with you to work.

 My not properly conceived notion was to then get
gtkglext/glade and the corresponding mm versions and start testing
development.  Now that I have 2.10.1 compiled, there is no gtkmm 2.10 (2.6
is the latest stable) and there is a choice with glade v2 (for gtk 2.8)
and
the in-development glade v3.  I also saw a hint that gtkbuilder (in
development?) is preferred over glade also.

I have only used glade v2 (and v1).  It is ugly and clunky but it gets the
job done.

 And I'm not sure which versions
are compatible with gtkglext.

All of them.

You can name your widgets in the GUI builder and inside your program you
can get a pointer to any of the named widgets.  If that widget is a
container, you can easily put your own, manually created, widget into it,
for example.  Or you could call gdk_gl_window_new() on its GdkWindow
(accessible in the window attribute of every GtkWidet -- except for those
that don't have their own window where it is NULL) and then start drawing.

In other words, it matters very little if glade/gtkbuilder has direct
support for a widget or not.

About your long list of options, I can't really tell which is best.
All I can say is that I have programmed Gtk+/Gnome in C and Perl with
very few problems.

Maybe you should just get something running on some libraries that are
relatively easy to install and see how that goes?

-Peter

PS: Sorry for the convoluted syntax :/