Re: A kind of progress bar ?

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 12:11:13AM +0200, Olivier Ramare wrote:
  Here is the widget I need, with some context:
I have n (say 5000) given positions to evaluate.
Each evaluation takes about a 1/10 of a second
and results in a diagnosis : I(mpossible) or O(ptimal)
       or sometimes, there's three states
       I(mpossible), ?(undecided) or O(ptimal)
Anyway, a finite number of states, but let us say two.

Just now I have a progress buffer in which all these
evaluations are recorded one after another :-(

What I would like is one progress bar with two cursors,
and two colors.
For people who know xosview, the amount of memory
is shown this way :
      green for used memory
     orange for buff (I-dont-know-what-that-is)
     red for cache
     background for free
I didn't find it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't look at the right
place :-(
Many thanks in advance!!

Well, since no one has suggested anything, make your own
widget.

In theory one can look at GtkProgressBar code and make
a widget that looks similarly, except for the colouring and
multiple bars.  In practice the progress bars are painted
with gtk_paint_box() which uses the Gtk style, and even if
one hackisly modified it on the fly or supplied another
style, a theme engine could still draw things its way
ignoring your colors.

So I would just take a drawing area (or subclass GtkWidget)
and draw some colorful rectangles on it, possibly with
borders or text or anything.  That's easy with gdk_draw_*()
functions whereas emulating GtkProgressBar look is not and
I would not attempt that.

It's the old struggle between the app and the theme again...

Yeti

--
Anonyms eat their boogers.