keeping track of time.

Hi. Im new to gtk and the list.

I am writing billiards management program under gtk2 on Linux. Each billiards table is represented by a widget that will toggle the table open or closed. While a table is open, I want to insert a label that displays how much time has elapsed.

I want the application to be aware of clock ticks with are resolution of 1 second. How could I implement this functionality efficiently. Would it be best to create an interval timer (itimer) every second? Or is there a gtk handler for time that would be better suited to this task. gtk_main () is essentially a message queue. Searches have yielded few results that make sense to me. And a few people have told me that gtk timers are less accurate.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.