my program has these problems

I am trying to build a bittorrent client based on gtk/c myself, (because I fell python and java are not so
"pure". ^_^ )
And these things troubles my badly.

1.The program can deal with english (ascii) filename and info well, but I don't know how to deal with other
types if encoded string. Chinese, japanese and many other languages have their own coding type, not always
UTF-8. And these user may not choose UTF as thier system local.
How can I translate "some types" of encoded string to other types? Or at least, translate all to UTF-8 type?

2.I still cann't make the g_thread work. I think I need tips to find which kind of code may made the thread
init fail.

3.Now I set a global variable to tell a thread stop. And the thread have to check the variable in its forever
loop. Is there any better way to control the thread?

4.I find someone use the "lookup_widget" to get widget handle?
It is shame to say I have set all widget needs runtime control in a global structure in my code(about 25
pointer together).
But I can't find detail info about this function, can anyone give me a doc link?

Thanks.