Re: How to detect already running application...

I think that the problem is more complicated than this, in
On a multiuser system, what, exactly, does it mean to have a
single instance of an application? One per machine? One per user?
One per desktop?  I've read several articles lamenting the
difficulty of doing this reliably, even on Win32. I've never seen
a discussion of doing it portably as all.

I was personally thinking one per session.  My main intention was
to hide the window instead of closing it, and have it pop up on
whatever screen it was called for.  Simplest way would be to make
it "sticky", and just use gtk_window_present().  Which just left
the one-per-session thing, and finding a way to tell it where to
pop up.  (gtk_window_present() seems to pop the desktop to the
application, rather than the application to the desktop...?)  As it
is, it's one-per-machine, which is okay because I'm the only one
using this machine.  But I was rather hoping for a better way. ;)

Does, perhaps, Gnome have a solution to this issue?  I was thinking
of making it a notification area component, which I believe
requires Gnome libs anyhow.  In which case I'd want it to work
within the scope in which the notification area is visible.

Fredderic

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com