Missing directories and files for gconf

hi people,

I've been trying to make an applet that can be put on the panel.When
the computer starts Xwindows,the icon of the applet should appear ON
the panel like the print-manager icon etc.
Working on Redhat Linux 8

We referred to the following documents:
1. http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gconf-list/2004-July/msg00032.html
2. http://gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/2.6/ch01s06.html#gconf-18
3. http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/desktop-guide/ch-ddg-panel-config.html

however we dont have the paths that these mails say should be there on
the computer.for eg:-
we dont have /apps/panel/general
instead we have /apps/panel/profiles/default/applets .....

also, our gconf doesn't have --dump and --load options.

Morever, panel-default-setup.entries file is missing!
it should containg the variables:-
    applet_id_list = [mixer,clock,systray,...]
   object_id_list = [menu_bar,web_launcher,...]
   toplevel_id_list = [top_panel,bottom_panel]

but none exist!

but when we tried this cmd to increase workspaces as suggested by doc2,it worked

# gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type int --set
/apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces integer

Made its own directory!!

we've been trying for a week but no progress.......

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank u!