Re: libglade vs glade for dialog generation

Hi all,

Hope you don´t mind if I put my two cents on this as well -- technical questions apart. I am a beginner in GTK programming and have been studying some GTK and Glade tutorials for a while. Recently I´ve discovered Libglade and it really looks like a great idea. As Glade 3 is already promised with Libglade-only support, I decided to start my project (ironically, kind of a RAD IDE for totally-visual application development) using Libglade.

But I must admit that it is not being really a simple thing, and I might have a simple explanation from my point of view -- beginner, amateur, hobbyist programmer, professional journalist (in Brazil journalists are not technicians who learn to write, we really study journalism as bachelor degree). Unlike GTK/Glade, Libglade is very poorly documented. For Glade, even the container boxes concept is not a "whaddahell" thing anymore. But, so far, I could not find a decent, less superficial tutorial for development with Libglade, and the "official" documentation is very basic. GTK itself is not an easy thing and, as it is, Libglade (lack of) documentation helps make things harder.

The GTK/Glade/Libglade development folks might think not only about new features for advanced GTK programmers, but also about easiness for newcomers -- and so I hope that a more complete Libglade documentation will be done and available *before* Libglade becomes the only (at least for a while) option for Glade.

By the way, plugins for generating code for lots of languages would be great, and in fact it is exactly one of the ideas I planned for my own RAD IDE mentioned above. Maybe both programs could share some ideas and contributions.... that´s the spirit of free software!

Thanks and best regards,

Fabricio Rocha
Brasilia, Brasil