Re: Video display

On Saturday 15 January 2005 16:20, Alf C Stockton wrote:

Is it possible to display a video in a frame as a screen saver to wait till
the user presses a button. I don't care, at this point in time, if it is an
mpeg, avi or whatever; just can it be done & if so how.

It could be done, for example, using the GStreamer framework. Have a look at
aldegonde [2], which is a very simple video player using GStreamer. Even
though aldegonde itself requires Gnome libraries, you should be able to rip
out the video widget and reuse it in a Gtk+-only app without problems,
provided the license (LGPL) is compatible with yours of course. Apart from
the GStreamer core, the only other requirements would be the GStreamer
plugins required to demux and decode the video of your choice. Shouldn't be
too much code overall.

I'm sure the xine guys have similar solutions.

Cheers
 -Tim

[1] http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org
[2] http://ronald.bitfreak.net/me/aldegonde.php