cross-compiling glib, and threads

Allin Cottrell writes:
checking for thread implementation... win32
configure:
   WARNING: I can't find the MACRO to enable thread safety on your
   platform (normally it's _REENTRANT). I'll not use any flag on
   compilation now, but then your programs might not work.
   Please provide information on how it is done on your system.

The msvcrt.dll C runtime that one is supposed to use is always
thread-safe, no special macro needed. (The static Microsoft C library
has separate thread-safe and not versions, libc.lib and libcmt.lib.)

   WARNING: the 'g_get_(user_name|real_name|home_dir|tmp_dir)'
   functions will not be MT-safe during their first call because
   there is no working 'getpwuid_r' on your system.

Well, there is no plain 'getpwuid' either, so big deal...

The above two warnings could be skipped on Win32, if someone feels
like submitting a suitable patch to configure.in

   WARNING: the 'g_date_set_time' function will not be MT-safe
   because there is no 'localtime_r' on your system.

This is real problem. Perhaps not any huge risk, though. Is there any
suitably licensed localtime implementation that could be copied into
GLib?

How bad is this?  Is there a right way to enable thread safety, for
a cross mingw built with support for win32 threads?  Thanks for any
help.

My guess is that there might well be others, more serious multi-thread
issues in GLib on Windows.

--tml