Re: Waking XScreensaver on LIRC event

Hi,

On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 00:49 +0930, n0dalus wrote:
Hi Daniel

Sounds like a cool idea. My solution to the same problem is as follows:

You can start/stop xscreensaver with the commands:
xset s activate
xset s reset

(On an interesting side-note, it's quite easy to use xset to do other
useful things, like turn off the monitors)

I use this with irexec to turn my screensaver on/off with my remote.

Initially that's what I did,
except I called "xscreensaver-command -deactivate" which (I think) is
about the same.

The only annoying thing I found about doing it like this was with the
lirc modes, I have my setup so I can start various apps like xmms and
xine, and when in those modes the "stop xscreensaver" button wouldn't
work, unless of course I put the command in each mode.

If you wanted to have it run the reset command every time you press
something, I think it would be quite easy to write a program to open a
socket to /dev/lircd, and every time it gets a new line of text it
just runs `xset s reset`.

Yea, thats about what I did, except I just call a slightly
modified portion of xscreensaver-command.

Is it OK to add attachments to these mails?
I could just post my code here then so anyone could use/improve it.
(It's only 8.7Kb when bzipped)

--
Daniel Pekelharing