Re: I don't think I need a custom widget

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 13:24, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
Maybe you should write one custom GtkContainer for each type
of container you need to put those widgets in.

The problem is really about the container widget and the
allocation it gives to its child, also what child properties
are involved (like attatch coordinates in a GtkTable, or
position coordinates in a GtkFixed).

The container can then easily add an event handler for all
of its child handlers and return FALSE if it didn't resize
anything.

This sounds like a workable idea as long as it won't alter the
allocation request of the child widget.  Since most widgets have their
own window, I can't draw to my custom container unless it is larger than
the child widget?  Again, all this can probably be worked around but I'd
be interested to hear any thoughts about this.

The other issue is that is would double my widget count.  I am REALLY
not worried about this since an event box probably doesn't have much
overhead, but if anyone knows different I'd appreciate feedback.