I don't think I need a custom widget

I want to take various existing GTK widgets and draw boxes around them
with handles so they can be interactively sized.  The only documentation
of this I can find is the GTK manual section on custom widgets and the
gtkdial example.

However, after reading both I think a full blown custom widget is way
more than I need.  Does anyone know of any documents on simply
piggybacking on a widget's expose event to add additional drawing
operations such at gtk_paint_polygon() and such.

I'm sure I can handle the display part without a creating a custom
widget, but can I handle the interactive part without resorting to
creating a new widget based on the GTK widget?  I have about 26
different widgets I need to do this for and I don't want to have to
create 26 custom derived widgets unless I have to.