Upgrading from GTK+ 1.2 to 2.4

I have an application that I am trying to "upgrade" to 2.4 from 1.2.  What is the best way to disable
depreciated widgets?  My application uses several CLists and some option menus and I'd like my code to break
when compiling.  I found that adding the #define "GDK_DISABLE_DEPRECIATED" is supposed to do the trick but it
doesn't seem to work as I'd expect.  (I.e. everything still compiles with no warnings or anything.)

Any ideas or places in the manual to point me to?