Any simple text rendering

I am working on a Program which draws diagrams on a drawing area and therefore I need to draw some simple text such as 'y-Axis' or '0.00', '1.00' and so on, nothing fancy, no chinese or arab, just plain english monospaced text. Now how should I do that ?

Label widgets? I didn't see how to get ascent and descent which I need to place the text correctly. Besides that, I need to allocate each label, but as the number of axis numbers depends on the size of the drawing area (grid spacing), this must be done anew after each resizing and labels would accumulate contiuously.

Pango? No idea where to start reading. Seems a huge engine. Use this just to display a few characters?

So what would you guys do?
--
Frank Hrebabetzky               +55 / 48 / 235 1106
Florianopolis, Brazil