Re: GTK Signals documentation

Tim Müller wrote:

>> I am  in desperation as I can find no place that describes what gtk
>> signals *mean*.
>>

> Signals are emitted whenever something happens or happened to an object.

I know I know! The point is there is very little, and inadequate, documentation for the semantics of signals, individually.

Eg: http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkTreeView.html#GtkTreeView-test-expand-row
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkCellRendererText.html#GtkCellRendererText-edited
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkWidget.html#GtkWidget-enter-notify-event
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkWidget.html#GtkWidget-expose-event
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkPaned.html#GtkPaned-accept-position

Etcetera.

As I was hunting these down, bouncing at random through the documentation I stumbled on one documented signal.

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkWidget.html#GtkWidget-drag-motion

> The most commonly used signals are usually well documented. Check out
>
> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkButton.html#GtkButton-activate

That is the exception. By and large there is no documentation for the semantics of the important (and unimportant) signals.

Eg

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkWidget.html#GtkWidget-map

I assume that one is something to do with the widget getting drawn into the display memory (or drawn on the screen). Perhaps it isn't, but how would I know?

> You'll usually find the important signals mentioned in the Gtk tutorial (www.gtk.org/tutorial), the various other Gtk-related tutorials, or the API docs.

I tried working from that. Problem is I could not find a tutorial that did what I want to do (which is irrelevant. If I start to discuss my particular problems then that will distract from the real problem).

Enough complaining already! Clearly the documentation I need does not exist. The solution is to write it. I moan, grizzle, and complain, I need to do something about it.

Where is the correct place to submit and discus patches for the documentation?

I am unqualified to the extent that I am just starting out with GTK. I am qualified to the extent that I am an experienced programmer that needs the documentation. I want to do something about this, where is the correct place?

cherio
Worik