Re: Desktops

If you want to control applications and what they do there are two ways.
 The first way is out of your control usually. If your window manager
follows the freedesktop.org standards (like xfce4 or fvwm), and also the
application is written to follow these standards (gkrellm2) then the
application itself can provide this functionality.

Of course we all know that we will probably never live in a world where
everyone follows the standard and everything is nice and happy. So to
solve this problem there are two fixes. The first fix is to use fvwm2.
Fvwm2 is a window manager that is almost infinitely customizable.
However, it requires lots of time and work. If you use this window
manager you can control where windows appear.

The other solution is devilspie.
http://www.burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie
Devilspie is a program that works like this. First you make an xml file
with rules. For example you make a rule, according to the XML DTD that
makes all windows part of the gaim process appear on desktop 6 and not
to show up in the taskbar. It can do lots of other cool stuff too, but
usually it is used for taking apps out of the taskbar and setting them
to specific virtual desktops.

-Scott