Is there a way to catch dialogs that pop up?

Is there any way (system wide) to catch the creation of dialog- and
message boxes? A thing that constantly annoys me is the way some
applications simply plonk their messages out on top of what you're doing
as if nothing in the world could be more important. One good example is
when I start my PC in the morning. First I start the mail client
(evolution), which takes a long time because of slow server. In the mean
time I do other things, like open an xterm and logging on to one of the
UNIXes; it is highly disruptive when a stupid dialog box opens up in the
middle of me typing a password, and demands immediate attention.

So, what I would like to is to be able to catch these interruptions and
put into some sort of 'attention queue' - something like an applet with
a list of dialogs that want my response. It ought to be simple enough, I
think. Any ideas?

/jan