Re: Associating with an entry in a GtkListStore

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 20:25, Chris Seaton wrote:
I'm using a GtkListStore with a GtkTreeView to show a simple list of
items. Each item has a text name and binary data. The list just needs to
show the name - the binary data is stored elsewhere in memory and is
used when the user selects commands from a menu (I'm making things
simplier than they are here, but the principle is the same).

The problem is: how do I associate the entry in the list store with my
binary data? There is no user field for the list store items like with
the signal handler functions, and there could be more than one item with
exactly the same name but different binary data so I can't use a hash
table or something.

I would use the index of the item (from the itterator), but I'm not sure
to do that, and anyway the indicies would change when the list is sorted
by clicking on column headers.

Just by chance I've been trying to do this as well.  I wanted to store a
G_OBJECT in the GtkListStore, and display some info contained within the
object in the GtkTreeView.

I ended up writing a test program that uses the solution Harring
Figueiredo suggested in a previous email.  I've packaged the code up and
put it on the web if you want to take a look:

  http://www.employees.org/~kmsharp/software/example.tar.gz

Note that this is proof of concept code, and as such has no comments and
probably isn't the optimal solution, but it does illustrate the point.

Keith.