Re: Associating with an entry in a GtkListStore

 There is a way to associate the data with the model.

 You could use your model like this.

 gtk_list_store_new( NUM_ENTRIES, G_TYPE_STRING, G_TYPE_POINTER)

Where the TYPE_STRING holds the description and the POINTER holds the binary
data.

 That way when you want to associate them, you sjut poull them with
model_get(..) fuction together.

 The key point here is that the treeview DOES NOT have to have the same number
of columns as the model.

  Hope this helps.

HArring

--- Chris Seaton <chris chrisseaton com> wrote:
I'm using a GtkListStore with a GtkTreeView to show a simple list of
items. Each item has a text name and binary data. The list just needs to
show the name - the binary data is stored elsewhere in memory and is
used when the user selects commands from a menu (I'm making things
simplier than they are here, but the principle is the same).

The problem is: how do I associate the entry in the list store with my
binary data? There is no user field for the list store items like with
the signal handler functions, and there could be more than one item with
exactly the same name but different binary data so I can't use a hash
table or something.

I would use the index of the item (from the itterator), but I'm not sure
to do that, and anyway the indicies would change when the list is sorted
by clicking on column headers.

Suggestions?

Chris Seaton