Associating with an entry in a GtkListStore

I'm using a GtkListStore with a GtkTreeView to show a simple list of items. Each item has a text name and binary data. The list just needs to show the name - the binary data is stored elsewhere in memory and is used when the user selects commands from a menu (I'm making things simplier than they are here, but the principle is the same).

The problem is: how do I associate the entry in the list store with my binary data? There is no user field for the list store items like with the signal handler functions, and there could be more than one item with exactly the same name but different binary data so I can't use a hash table or something.

I would use the index of the item (from the itterator), but I'm not sure to do that, and anyway the indicies would change when the list is sorted by clicking on column headers.

Suggestions?

Chris Seaton