Re: GTK not good for newbies?

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 08:44:10AM +0530, Manish Chakravarty wrote:

I wanted to prgram in C++ as i am more comfortable with it.
But the gtkmm docs are very sparse and moreover it does not work directly
with glade

Sure it does, using libglade.

It sounds to me that you're a little overwhelmed right now.  I encourage you
to keep trying.  gtk is a very nice toolkit.  The documentation is much
better than it used to be ;}

Also, whenever i ask a question about programming with glade on any of the
LUG's or mailng list, usually the response is "Dont use Glade-generated
code, just use the XML file and write your own"

They mean that you should use libglade instead to dynamically load in your
glade-generated widget tree at runtime.  Very easy to use, and it keeps your
code from getting cluttered with layout boilerplate.

http://www.gtkmm.org/gtkmm2/docs/tutorial/html/ch19.html

This is much EASIER than using generated code, and a much better practice.

So does there exist a decent tutorial for gtk or gtkmm?

I can't believe that you haven't seen the tutorial, linked right off the
main page of www.gtk.org, so I guess you don't like the existing one?

And there's a whole book on the gtkmm site:

http://www.gtkmm.org/gtkmm2/docs/tutorial/html/index.html

There's also a pygtk tutorial:

http://www.moeraki.com/

(Frankly I think programming applications in C or C++ is kind of crazy, but
that's just me.)

Dave Cook