Re: GTK not good for newbies? ( UR ALSO RESPONSIBLE)

Manu and Manish, and the others,

Just two simple questions, if you will. How much coding have you done before you started with GTK? I don't mean this as a slam, although perhaps it sounds that way, but I'm curious.

And are you learning GTK as part of a school course?

Reason I ask is I've found the GTK documents to be really well done. Yes they are sparse in some areas, mostly what I've found to be higher function areas (ie you don't need that documentation until you really know basic GTK, and by that time, you can usually figure it out youself). The documentation has stood me in good stead, and I think it's fine. However...

1. I have a solid background in C programming, that includes far more than 'Intro to C', or currently learning it in school.

2. I don't find tutorials to be all that useful, because they bore me after a little bit, although sample code is always useful

3. I know how to do research, had it taught to me in college and refined the skills in post graduate school. Finding what I need on the 'net is therefore fairly easy.

4. English is my first language. This must, unfortunately, make some difference.

There are tutorials that come with the documentation, and that fine little gtk-demo program, which has sample code and is quite useful for starting out.

There are Glade tutorials, and a Glade users list for help with Glade. Many of these tutorials include at least a little bit of basic GTK as well.

It would be interesting to know what you find generally lacking in those tutorials (especially as I've written some of the Glade ones) and how you both would answer the questions above. Maybe it would make those of us who are interested in documentation understand your problems more.

Cheers,

Rikke