Re: Java Versus gtk

Paul Pogonyshev wrote:

Daniel K. O. wrote:
Karoliina Salminen wrote:
I'm considering a project which will run on multiple platforms.
For that purpose, I would prefer third option that was not listed, Qt.
http://www.trolltech.com
I am using Qt X11 free in addition to GTK+.
I still want to see Qt working on Windows with MinGW.
And there isn't a Free license for Qt on Windows. So, use Qt for cross platform development seems almost as useful as using MFC.

Unless I'm missing something, you don't need special license for working
on Windows.  GNU GPL doesn't permit weird restrictions such as strict
binding to a fixed OS, does it?

So maybe you are missing something.
http://www.trolltech.com/products/licensing.html
"Qt Free Editions <http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/freelicense.html> are not available on Windows"

And:
http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/windows.html
"Qt/Windows can be used with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0, Visual Studio .Net, or Borland Builder 5 (bcc32 5.5)."

Daniel K. O.