Re: Java Versus gtk

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, John J. Boyer wrote:

Hello,

I'm considering a project which will run on multiple platforms.

For that purpose, I would prefer third option that was not listed, Qt.
http://www.trolltech.com
I am using Qt X11 free in addition to GTK+. I like Qt more because
of its native object oriented way of thinking. I haven't done
cross platform software with Qt yet, so I haven't verified this claim,
but as far as I have understood, it is possible with Qt to do
transparently the different versions to different platforms without
modifications to the code. And as far as I know, with GTK there
will be some issues taken into account in comparison.

I rarely use Java because it is several times slower than
C++ and wastes memory multiple times more. Of course it depends
on application, a relatively small tool done with Java is quite ok.
I have used some big Java based tools and I haven't liked their
behaviour in my computer despite I have 1 GB of memory (it always
runs out because Java tends to leak).

Best Regards,
Karoliina Salminen

/*
 * | Karoliina Salminen | karoliinasalminen karoliinasalminen com |
 * | http://www.karoliinasalminen.com | http://www.ampcast.com/karoliina |
 *
 */