grabbing a spinbutton from a dialog

I know there's probably a better way to do this than what I'm attempting. I have a New menuitem that I want to create a dialog with 2 spinbuttons. On the response handler the function needs to extract the values from the 2 spinbuttons. Here's my flow:

Mainmenu->New->create a dialog with 2 spin buttons->signal connect
response->get dialog vbox->get first hbox->get spinbutton->get value
+->get second hbox->get spinbutton->get value

So far I've been trying to use the gtk_container_get_children() methods. Is there a better way to do this? That seems like a lot of code to get 2 ints.