Re: New user objecting to using stolen software

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Alf C Stockton wrote:
I have been given a task of developing a C program for Windows despite
being a Linux/command line person.
I believe that gtk supports Windows but now where do I start?
What should I download and install?
My "using stolen software" in the Subject refers to the fact that I don't,
unless I have to, want to use Visual Studio or .Net as I do not intend paying
for same and would prefer to do the development on my Linux box and port to
Windows when complete.
Hi Alf!
I personally like the GTK-Installers from http://www.dropline.net/gtk/.
As development environment I use cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/),
which provides me with a bash shell on a windows platform (even with
xterms integrated in your windows desktop) and build tools
like GNUmake and gcc. If you rather like to use the Microsoft compiler
from Visual Studio it's no problem to call it from command line. The
complete Visual Studio has to be purchased, but you can download the
command line tools without the graphical frontend for free from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/.

Regards,
                     Peter
Peter Krüger

applied software solutions (appss) GmbH
Sandtorstr. 23
D-39106 Magdeburg
Germany

Phone:  +49-(0)391-54486-19388
Fax:    +49-(0)391-54486-19222
email:  krueger appss de

Managing Director: Uwe Hess, Dietmar Schäfer
Register: HRB12386, AG Magdeburg

"Virtual business becomes reality!"

e-mail is strictly forbidden.