GtkTreeIters

Are GtkTreeIters safe to have hanging around, or will they become useless as I add, remove or edit items from the tree store?

Can I compare two GtkTreeIters to see if they refer to the same entry in the tree store?

In most widgets each item in the tree store (or whatever) has a unique ID. Does GtkTreeIter basically work in the same way, or is it something else entirely?

In the context of my application, I have a tree store and view that lists hierarchical categories. One of the items in the tree is a special "all" category. I want do be able to do things like store the GtkTreeIter of the all item, and then do

if (ThisOtherTreeIter == AllIter)...

At later points to see if the selected item is the "all" item.

Thanks.

Chris Seaton