using keys and storing data with a GObject

Hi,

I'm new to GTK and I would like to be able to take
advantage of the ability to store data with a GObject.

Ideally I want to receive a signal event from a widget
and then take some action based on its associated
data.

I've looked at g_object_set_data and it works, but in
order to retrieve the data (g_object_get_data), I need
to know what the widget's key was.  Is there a way to
get this key just by knowing the widget pointer, or
should I start keeping track of which keys go with
which pointers?

Right now I'm just testing with simple string data,
but if anyone has any examples of how to store a
collection of data with a widget (like a struct), I
would love to see it.

Thanks!
Marisa