gtk_widget_ref and gtk_object_set_data_full functions

Hi,

I'm fairly new to GTK and am updating some code to build menus (originally
generated with Glade).  Thanks to the excellent tutorial, I get the basics
but there are a couple of function calls I have no idea what they are doing.
After each menu item has been created, the following functions are run.

gtk_widget_set_name(...)
gtk_widget_set_ref(...)
gtk_object_set_data_full(...)

None of these functions are mentioned in the tutorial, and although present,
are not documented in the API reference.

Apologies in advance if this has been addressed before and I have missed it.

Regards,

Will.