Re: D-BUS [Re: A desktop framework/daemon]

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 07:18:58PM +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
I will wait before I start with my own implementation to check if
somebody starts an implementation based on D-BUS or defines a standard
that uses the protocols designed for and by X.

If you have the time and motivation I'd go ahead rather than wait.
DBUS API as I hear isn't quite stable yet and this is the kind
of thing desktops need.   You could always go back and use the
DBUS API later if you're so inclined.

I'd talk with Keith Packard on defining a standard or have it as
a TODO on Keith's branch of Xfree if you want to go the X route.

Also note that I want to create this daemon/framework as platform
independent as possible. This means that Ms. Windows is also a canditate
on the list of supported platforms.

I don't think there is anything in DBUS that I could see that would
prevent it from being ported to other systems.

Perhaps somebody should implement something like this in a clean way.
This means that it might be a issue for freedesktop.org before anybody
even starts with that implementation.

I'm not sure I understand?

sri