Re: D-BUS [Re: A desktop framework/daemon]

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 17:16, Havoc Pennington wrote:

Please make it talk via X properties, otherwise its yet another network
mess we don't need and another "doesnt work through firewalls" we don't
want to deal with.

Hmm, so what is your perspective on D-BUS? Anyone else have opinions on
this? It has had positive feedback from LKML, and its plans certainly align
well with what we need, and what people want to do...

We can tunnel D-BUS over X if we need to, I half-implemented it at one
point even.

Okay,

I will wait before I start with my own implementation to check if
somebody starts an implementation based on D-BUS or defines a standard
that uses the protocols designed for and by X.

Also note that I want to create this daemon/framework as platform
independent as possible. This means that Ms. Windows is also a canditate
on the list of supported platforms.

Perhaps somebody should implement something like this in a clean way.
This means that it might be a issue for freedesktop.org before anybody
even starts with that implementation.

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org