RE: Language characters

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 11:30, martyn 2 russell bt com wrote:
The encoding has to be part of your network protocol. (Either
by passing
it, or by defining what the encoding is as part of the protocol.)
You can't just have a random stream of bytes in an undefined encoding
and tell GTK+ to display it.

This is TRUE :)

The information I receive is coming in from a GIOChannel.  I would expect
that is UTF8.  Therefore there should not be any translation needed.

GIOChannel has *no* ability to magically guess the incoming text
encoding either. The knowledge of what encoding is involved
has to come from the application/protocol leve.

If, for example I search for a contact I have which has Russian details, the
information is displayed perfectly:
http://gnome-jabber.sourceforge.net/screenshot-russian.png

Therefore, either umlauts are not supported by UTF8 OR the text that comes
in on the socket is invalid UTF8 (and I admit I do not check it because I
assume it already is).

UTF-8 certainly supports German.

Likely your Russian text was encoded as correct UTF-8 to start
of with, your German text wasn't.

Regards,
                                                Owen