RE: Language characters

The encoding has to be part of your network protocol. (Either
by passing
it, or by defining what the encoding is as part of the protocol.)
You can't just have a random stream of bytes in an undefined encoding
and tell GTK+ to display it.

This is TRUE :)

The information I receive is coming in from a GIOChannel.  I would expect
that is UTF8.  Therefore there should not be any translation needed.

If, for example I search for a contact I have which has Russian details, the
information is displayed perfectly:
http://gnome-jabber.sourceforge.net/screenshot-russian.png

Therefore, either umlauts are not supported by UTF8 OR the text that comes
in on the socket is invalid UTF8 (and I admit I do not check it because I
assume it already is).

Regards,
Martyn