RE: Language characters

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 12:16, martyn 2 russell bt com wrote:
No idea. You should never get blocks for a character if
there is any
font on your system that can handle it; changing locale just
changes the
order in which fonts are selected.

(Assuming that you are using pango-1.2.x/fontconfig/Xft2)

When I said I get blocks for a character, this is what I meant, here is a
screenshot:
http://gnome-jabber.sourceforge.net/screenshot-characterblocks.png

(see the "Status" value under the "Presence / Subscription").

In this case, his name is in Chinese.  If I debug the application in xemacs,
I see the correct chinese characters?!

I understand what you meant. My comments in the previous mail
stand.

Regards,
                                        Owen