Asking for a control solution

Hi !!
I'm spanish, so.. sorry for my english.

I want to develop a very particular application, with glade & GTK, in C
languaje for linux/unix. These are my first steps in GTK...

I want to load a file which it's changed every 5 seconds. So i need refresh
the main window frecuently, and i want my users can do other things
pressing keys or buttons.

But,  if i pass the control to the function gtk_main(), and GTK sleep
waiting for X events, how can i refresh the file?
Are "timeouts in GTK" a solution for this?

Thank you.