Re: Does GTK support this contruction and how do do

You want something like this:

+-------------------------+
|+-----------+ GtkWindow  |
|| GtkFixed  |            |
||           |(freespace) |
||           |            |
||           |            |
|+-----------+            |
+-------------------------+

Your GtkFixed (container impl.) will
always stay the same size and is a child
of your GtkWindow (will always follow
parent window).

In this region I want to have different popup windows depending the user
selects.

Just remove whatever was in the GtkFixed
and add new stuff to it (could even be
another gtk fixed inside this one).

this way you could have a function:

GtkFixed *create_help_screen(args...);

which you could:

gtk_container_add(GTK_CONTAINER(fixed_placeholder),
                  GTK_WIDGET(fixed_help_screen));

Get the Idea ?

Cheers,
                        -Tristan

günther wrote:

I have a main_window toplevel

one part is free and reserved nt occupied with any widget.

In this region I want to have different popup windows depending the user
selects.
Questions)
1) This popup window should come up at the specified free region on the
main_window
                     how to place the popup directly always at the same
place
2) more important the popup window should always be in the front of the
main_window
   and not be hidden by the main_window  if clicked on
                      how to keep it always in front
3)  The popup should be fixed to the position at the main_window, so if
you move
    the main_window   the popup should move in front visible with the
main_window
     comparable with the HandleBox Widget
                      how to move both   without  writing handler to
detect the movement
                                                  and place the popup
new with own code.
                      exists something like to attach the  popup window
type to main_window.
If somebody knows please help
Mfg
Günther