[debian tmail plala or jp: Pango tutorial?]

----- Forwarded message from Tomohiro KUBOTA <debian tmail plala or jp> -----

Date:   Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:05:52 +0900 (JST)
To: linux-utf8 nl linux org
Subject: Pango tutorial?
From: Tomohiro KUBOTA <debian tmail plala or jp>

Hi,

I am now interesting in Pango, because it says it
 - can output anti-aliased text,
 - can handle multilingual text including CJK, bidi, combining,
   and Indic complex scripts,
 - can choose proper fonts for language (script) of (portions
   of) given texts, which means it doesn't force users to configure
   font settings to display non-Latin Alphabet texts,
 - can use multiple fonts for multilingle given text (one font
   for each language/script), which means it can display mixture
   of Japanese and Cyrillic when the system has Japanese font and
   Cyrillic font (even without a font which has both of japanese
   and Cyrillic), and
 - is free (meets the Open Source Definition).

However, I have no idea how to use it.  Are there any tutorials
of Pango?  Or, are there any other text rendering engines which
meet the above conditions?

Concretely, I am now interested in the beta version of xplanet,
which uses FreeType.  However, FreeType is a low level renderer
and it doesn't support bidi nor combining.  It doesn't take care
of supported codepoint/language/script range of fonts.  Thus,
I think FreeType is not suitable for application softwares but
it should be regarded as a basis of other high-level rendering
engines.

Thus, the main developer of xplanet and I are searching a good
text rendering engine and interested in Pango.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota debian org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/

----- End forwarded message -----