gtk help request: gtk_widget_destroy freezes application

hello,
        I have a window and a container frame in it.
The container has a frame in it. Now I try to destroy
the frame and put in a new frame. But when I destroy
the frame using gtk_destroy_widget the gui simply
freezes, the window can still be moved around but
does not respond to any input. There was a posting
in 2001 in archives but there was no answer to it.
Can anybody please help me out.
                        Thank you,
                        with regards,
                        Santosh.