Re: speeding up GtkTreeView?

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 07:16:49PM +0100, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
Op wo 12-02-2003, om 12:19 schreef Filip Van Raemdonck:
On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 07:38:49PM +0100, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
I have done a comparison between the deprecated GtkCList widget and the
new GtkTreeView in gtk+-2.0. Loading 10.000 rows consisting of 3 columns
each takes 0.3 seconds with GtkClist and 4.8 second with GtkTreeView.

Be glad :-) When I fill a 2 column treemodel with ~10000 entries, at a
time the model has no view associated with it yet (so no rendering
slowness - have you tried filling on a disconnected model?), it takes
around 15 seconds on a pII 300, 96MiB memory. Granted, it may be a lowend
machine, but not using a treemodel I can fill in the same data in a custom
data storage model in around one second.

So it's the renderer's slowness? I guess pango must be the bottleneck
then.....

Not in my case, I was filling it before the renderer was involved at all.
I was only guessing at yours.

I think it would be very useful for the two standard treemodel
implementations to have an API to put in a custom underlying datamodel.
Right now those default models are really only useful with small data
sets. Anything serious brings them to their knees.

I have read somewhere that writing your own renderer would be a
solution. But I don't have clue how to go about.

I have only a little idea about that; but it wouldn't help me.

Regards,

Filip

--
I would like to think that I am not as dumb as a bag of hammers but facts
tend to implicate me as so being :-/