Re: speeding up GtkTreeView?

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 07:38:49PM +0100, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
I have done a comparison between the deprecated GtkCList widget and the
new GtkTreeView in gtk+-2.0. Loading 10.000 rows consisting of 3 columns
each takes 0.3 seconds with GtkClist and 4.8 second with GtkTreeView.

Be glad :-) When I fill a 2 column treemodel with ~10000 entries, at a
time the model has no view associated with it yet (so no rendering
slowness - have you tried filling on a disconnected model?), it takes
around 15 seconds on a pII 300, 96MiB memory. Granted, it may be a lowend
machine, but not using a treemodel I can fill in the same data in a custom
data storage model in around one second.

Also, when I outputted a simple `.' on stdout per each 10 entries added,
I could see a significant slowdown as more entries were in the list
already, even when still only a few dozen dots (i.e. a few hundred items)
were printed.

I think it would be very useful for the two standard treemodel
implementations to have an API to put in a custom underlying datamodel.
Right now those default models are really only useful with small data
sets. Anything serious brings them to their knees.

The best proof that intelligent aliens do exist, is the fact that they have
not contacted us yet.