Re: [newbie] How to plot to drawing_area

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:04:26 -0300
"Individual . ." <individual mi cl> wrote:

:-( Especially if you want it to work on all available colordepths etc.

Yes, from what I've seen in the tutorials... one has to get one's brain
around all available colourdepths. Ergh.

Well, nowadays you'll probably get fewer complaints if you say "only works on 24
or 16 bits colordepth". Certainly for a scientific app.

For me, I would only use Xlib if I was on a platform that was slow or
very
resource constrained, and if a proper GUI was not necessary, i.e. you
just want
to show a picture or movie.

Yes, it's sort of that but from another point of view: I want the
greatest speed in displaying the image, and hopefully that it won't
impact the calculation that is being run behind it (this will be for a
scientific app).

GdkRGB is pretty fast. but you could deploy the GUI from a different process if
you do now want it to impede the app. Look at g_spawn_async_with_pipes() in the
Glib manual. Just spawn the GUI, write the RGB data to the pipe, and have the
GUI process read and display it.

And yes, a GUI won't be necessary. I *may* add a palette in a separate
floating window with "Quit" "Save" "Close" in the future. That's why I
turned to Gtk initially (and besides, I decided that it was about time
that

If you might want a GUI later, then don't implement in xlib now, or you'll be
rewiting it later. :-)

Roland
--
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in email