Re: [newbie] How to plot to drawing_area

On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 06:43 PM, Roland Smith wrote:

I've used Xlib and Athena before switching to GTK+, and IMHO it isn't pretty.
:-( Especially if you want it to work on all available colordepths etc.

Yes, from what I've seen in the tutorials... one has to get one's brain around all available colourdepths. Ergh.

For me, I would only use Xlib if I was on a platform that was slow or very resource constrained, and if a proper GUI was not necessary, i.e. you just want
to show a picture or movie.

Yes, it's sort of that but from another point of view: I want the greatest speed in displaying the image, and hopefully that it won't impact the calculation that is being run behind it (this will be for a scientific app). And yes, a GUI won't be necessary. I *may* add a palette in a separate floating window with "Quit" "Save" "Close" in the future. That's why I turned to Gtk initially (and besides, I decided that it was about time that

Paul