Re: Interesting problem with GtkTreeView

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 17:48:32 +0000
Tim MÃller <zen18864 zen co uk> wrote:

Aren't there -dbg packages for your distro which get installed into
/usr/lib/ debug, so that you just have to do export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/debug in bash before running your program?
(libgtk2.0-dbg on debian)

        Yeah, see, that would have been too easy!! Unfortunately, Mandrake does
not provide such libraries and I can't seem to find them on the various
rpm sites.

I've seen similar errors twice so far, and both gdb and valgrind were
utterly useless finding the problem (you did run your program through
valgrind, didn't you?) If I got a stack trace at all, it would always
indicate some gtk/glib functions somewhere, surrounded by plenty of
'???'.

        That is pretty much what I am seeing too...

Both times the problem turned out to be a bug in my code where

        I don't doubt that it is a problem with my code somewhere, but it would
help being able to see where and why does the gtk function crash.

I returned inconsistent information from custom sort functions - that
would make the sort algorithms smash the stack badly (because it
accessed array[n] where n<0 due to the inconsistent return values of
my compare function). I'd be surprised if that was the cause for your
problems as well, but it's at least something to check ;-)

        You, are right, I am not doing sorts so I doubt it is that... :)

        Thanx for the help. Now, I at least have a lead by trying to find the
debug packages...

--
Mitko Haralanov
voidtrance at comcast dot net