Re: gtk_tree_model insertion torment

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 09:11, Samium Gromoff wrote:
      I`m currently fighting a terrible inconvenience of the way i operate
 with the gtk_tree_model.

      For instance i have a tree of objects (my own tree, my own object, have
 nothing to do with gtk). I want to visualise it. So let`s say i`m going to insert
 one of objects from my tree to the tree model, somewhere deep.

      From what i perceive i have to seek through the tree iters from the very root,
 gtk_tree_model_get for the key, and strcmp strcmp strcmp.

I assume you are trying to map your tree in a GtkTreeStore, and display
the GtkTreeStore using the GtkTreeView. In that case I would recommend
writing your own GtkTreeModel. This way you don't have to do any
bookkeeping between your tree and the tree in TreeStore.

      It`d be a hell much more cool if there could be a constant object, the very
 representation of a tree row, to which i`d gladly hold a reference from each node
 of my own tree. In this way gtk_tree_model insert is being reduced to nearly nothing.

[That would be GtkTreeRowReference. Though if you have a big tree, you
will have a lot of row references around. This both requires memory and
slows down insertion, deletion and reordering operations. I'd still
recommend to write your own GtkTreeModel, as pointed out above ;)]

Good luck,

        -Kris

      It`s extremely probable that i`m missing something obvious, though.

regards, Samium Gromoff