Re: g_object_class_install_property

Mikoyan wrote:
On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 13:21, James M. Cape wrote:

/me blushes at refs to the gtcpsocket subclassing tutorial ;-)

Nice. I'm actually in the progress of writing some tutorials
too, although I have the impression that lately there are
poppung up some good tutorials.

Ha, whatever, the more information the better I guess. Maybe
I'll post the urls later somewhere. Maybe not :-)

Thx for the overview

Another GObject tutorial or two would be great. The perspective
from someone learning GObjects and the type-system is:

- there's a ton of API functions, but where do you start?
- how GObject operates in two halves, separating methods and properties?
- what are the main things GObject and the type-system can *do*?
- what are various/typical ways that subclasses of GObject can
  be initialized? (there's init(), class_init(), and a constructor())
- what are properties, and what can they do? (emitting signals etc)
- what are GValues about?

These points could be stated in 2-3 pages of a high level
overview that would put other more detailed explanations
in to perspective and easier to understand. The detailed
explanations are mostly available online, but without the
overview, it's a bit hard to understand at first.

I've got the hang of most of this now, but it has just needed
some concentrated reading for a few days after searching for a
few things with google, as well as list posts and archives. All
the printed books seem to be a bit old (i've read two, but they
said nothing about subclassing details and the type-system).
There's plenty of tutorials on using gtk+ widgets.