Re: [OT] GTK+ with framebuffer distro?

On 24 Apr 2003 15:03:38 -0700
Charles Iliya Krempeaux <tnt linux ca> wrote:

Hello,

I've written a GTK+ program.  But I want it to run as
a kiosk.  And to run off of a (live) CD.  (I.e., boot
off of, and run straight off of a CD.)

What I was thinking is that, if there was a Linux
distro, already out there, that booted from the
CD.  And ran from the CD.  And went straight into
the framebuffer mode and had all the proper GTK+
stuff to make it use the frame buffer.  Then I
could simply modify that.  And use that.

There are a couple of distros that need no installation, like Knoppix
(based on Debian) and SuSE live eval (based on... bah). I never bothered
to find out exactly what a framebuffer is (if anyone is bored enough to
explain it in couple of words...), but you can have a kind of "minimal
install" with config files on another medium (HD or floppy, I guess), so
you're not bound by the config burned on the CD. Probably you'd be able to
set it up to fit your needs.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui