Re: Linux and Gtk 2.0

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 05:58:01PM +0530, Chandrashekhar V. Joshi wrote:

I have developed a  Ui based on GTk 1.2.6
Now as we intend to move to Gtk2.0
we would like to know what version of Linux will support it.
As for Linux desktops the gtk libraries are in built and we dont need to
install them I am interested in knowing what version of Linux will have
gtk2 libraries.

presently we are working on 7.x version and moving towards 8.x version
of Linux.

I assume those are versions of Red Hat Linux.  The versions of Red Hat with
gtk+ 2.x are as follows:

        gtk+      pygtk
7.3     2.0.2     1.99.8
8.0     2.0.6     1.99.12
9       2.2.1     1.99.14

The gtk+ 2.2 series has significant bug fixes and not just new features. For
example a show stopper for me was the TreeView.get_cursor bug fixed in 2.2.1.

Note that Red Hat calls these packages gtk2 and pygtk2.  pygtk 1.99.12 was
incomplete and buggy.

However, it is fairly easy to install a newer pygtk that doesn't interfere
with the old one as it will install itself in
/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk-2.0.  You then load that particular
version with:

import pygtk; pygtk.require('2.0')
import gtk

Recent versions of pygtk use distutils as well.

Dave Cook